“During the 2014 legislative session, House Bill 14-1273 was signed into law. This legislation established a 31-person Human Trafficking Council (The Council) that represents a wide range of agencies including state agencies, law enforcement, prosecutors, NGOs, regional coalitions and task forces, legal services, victim service providers, academia, faith-based organizations, etc. The Council is housed under the Colorado Department of Public Safety, Division of Criminal Justice, Office for Victims Programs and is designed to:
- Bring together leadership from community-based and statewide anti-trafficking efforts;
- Build and enhance collaboration among communities and counties within the state;
- Establish and improve comprehensive services for victims and survivors of human trafficking
- Assist in the successful prosecution of human traffickers; and
- Help prevent human trafficking in Colorado.
The 2019 Colorado Human Trafficking Council Report is a comprehensive overview of the work of the Council in 2019. The report highlights a series of topics including:
- Ongoing data collection efforts throughout the state;
- Results from a research study of service providers in Colorado;
- A post-enactment review of Senate Bill 15-030 to understand the use and impact of the legislation;
- Recommendations for how the state and Colorado communities can more effectively respond to labor trafficking by addressing gaps in regulating employer-provided housing; and
- An overview of the steps accomplished to develop a statewide public awareness campaign on human trafficking; and
- A summary of the implementation of the Council’s human trafficking training programs conducted throughout the state and an overview of the new training programs developed in 2019.
Colorado Division of Criminal Justice, Office for Victims Programs. 2019 Colorado Human Trafficking Council Annual Report. (Lakewood, CO: Colorado Department of Public Safety), 2020.
Past annual reports can be accessed here.
Laboratory to Combat Human Trafficking Study
View The Lab’s Colorado Project 2.0 here.
The Lab’s published research can be found here.